Should we be using Twitter?
Business owners often ask us: Should we be using Twitter?
It’s impossible to answer that question in isolation. And let’s face it, it would be a pretty short blog post, if the answer was a straightforward yes or no!
So what factors determine whether or not you should be on Twitter?
- Your customers – are they using Twitter? Crucially your best customers – the ones you’d like more of.
- Content – do you have a constant source of materials and ideas to share? Ideally, this will include blog posts, images, infographics and video.
- Resources – do you have access to materials from other companies to share – thought leaders, industry experts etc?
- Time – does a member of your team have the time to dedicate to Twitter? To do it well, you need to be posting at least 2-3 times per day, preferably more.
- Long haul – still on the theme of time, you need to be in it for the long haul. Don’t expect overnight success. It can take quite some time to build up a legitimate following.
- Budget – yes, we know Twitter is “free”. But putting the resource into managing Twitter, and feeding it with content, isn’t free – it takes time, people and money.
Note, that we haven’t added your competitors to the list. Whilst it is a good idea to keep an eye on your competition, don’t let that sway you one way or the other. Just because they have done something doesn’t mean it is right for your business. Besides, sometimes it’s good to buck the trend!
Remember, you don’t have to use Twitter. Even if you can tick off most of the list, if you just don’t feel it is for you then don’t do it. If your heart isn’t it, then it is not going to work.
And believe us, there are plenty of other marketing tools to call on, if Twitter isn’t your thing!
If you’d like to talk about your marketing, please contact us on 01256 83 11 10 to arrange a meeting.
If you know you need to get marketing sorted, then we need to talk.
We offer a range of marketing services from one off projects to a Virtual Marketing Director option, all focused on action - ticking off the marketing to do list. To find out more read this.
We also share marketing tips & ideas with small business owners via our blog.
Latest posts by Nicky (see all)