When you are setting up a new business, choosing a business name is very important.
So, what do you need to think about?
- Does it roll off the tongue when you say it out loud? Think about answering the phone with the company name. If you’re struggling, it’s not going to work.
- Can you buy a domain name that either is the whole business name, or a derivative of it? If there are several options, we recommend buying them all, you never know, you may want them in the future. It’s also a good way of protecting the business name.
If you’re in the UK, we suggest buying .co.uk and .com versions if possible.If the .com version is not available, it is worth checking out the website. If it is in a very similar industry, we recommend you think again about your business name. More than once we have come across a business that has been forced to change its name after trading for some time, by a company with the same name in another country, particularly the US.
- Check on the Companies House website to see if the name has been registered. Whilst only limited companies are registered at Companies House, it is always worth checking. You may not want to be limited now, but you may one day. And two companies cannot register with the same limited name.
- The name hasn’t been registered as a trademark. Check this on the Intellectual Property Office website. It’s just not worth trying to name your business in a very similar way to a name or set of words that has been legally protected.
- Is the name meaningful, quirky or memorable? Is it obvious what your business does? Will people remember it easily?
We believe it is always worth running through these checks before rushing ahead with your name.
If you would like some help with your company name, or what you need to think about, please contact us on 01256 83 11 10.
Registered office address: Unit 14 Faraday Court | Rankine Road | Basingstoke | Hampshire | RG24 8PF
Registered No: 4440964 Registered in England & Wales