As our clients know, we are not huge fans of advertising as it is often difficult to get a return on investment.
Many small business owners also report that marketing doesn’t work based on a bad experience with advertising.
However, you can improve your chances of advertising successfully using the following tips:
- Advertise where your prospective clients are likely to be – for example if you are in the business to business market the local paper is probably not the place for you.
- Choose where the advert is placed – ideally in the bottom right hand corner as that is where our eye is naturally drawn (and also where most people turn the page). Also avoid advertising where your competitors are – so not on a Healthy & Beauty page (but in a different place in the publication) if you are a hairdresser trying to compete with other salons.
- Let the picture do the talking. Don’t fill your whole advertising space with words – it’s too daunting and people won’t read it. Give the picture some space to make an impact – the picture of an ad above is a good example.
- Remember to add a call to action. Tell readers what to do next – call a number or visit a website etc. But don’t give them too many actions – one is ideal.
- Track the response – you’ve spent all that money but if you don’t remember to ask people where they heard about you then you don’t know if it has worked. If you are advertising in more than one publication you could add a tracking code for people to mention when calling.
Need help with marketing for your business?
Give us a call on 01256 83 11 10 – we’d be delighted to help.
Registered office address: Unit 14 Faraday Court | Rankine Road | Basingstoke | Hampshire | RG24 8PF
Registered No: 4440964 Registered in England & Wales