We believe you can take lessons in marketing, and copywriting, from many different places, and you might be quite surprised at some.
We love the start of Rudyard Kipling’s poem I Keep Six Honest Serving Men. It’s an excellent reminder of what we should all keep in mind:
“I keep six honest serving men
(They taught me all I knew);
Their names are What and Why and When
And How and Where and Who.”
Asking ourselves those questions repeatedly when we write copy, or when we are looking at our marketing, is incredibly powerful and valuable.
Have you answered those questions in your marketing, on your website, in everything that tells the customer about your business?
So, let’s take a quick look at how you can interpret these questions within a marketing context:
- What – your products or services – What are they? What do they do?
- Why – Why does the customer need you/your business/your services/your products? Why do your existing customers buy from you? (Testimonials work well here) Why is your company the right choice for the customer? Why do you offer these goods or services (this is part of your story)
- When – When can the customer expect delivery? When can the customer see the effects/results? When can the customer meet you?
- How – How can the customer buy? How does it work? How effective is it? How do you deliver? How do you take your product to market – sell direct, through agents?
- Where – Where can the customer buy? Where are the payment details?
- Who – Who is your customer (yes, our favourite!)? Who are you (tell your story – give the company a personality)?
As we said, this is just a snapshot, but hopefully it gives you some food for thought…
If you like the idea of getting some help with your marketing, give us a call on 01256 83 11 10.
Registered office address: Unit 14 Faraday Court | Rankine Road | Basingstoke | Hampshire | RG24 8PF
Registered No: 4440964 Registered in England & Wales